[bksvol-discuss] Simon & Schuster

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Vol Group <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:12:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi gang,

Good news from our Publisher Liaison! I received this from her today:
----

Simon & Schuster has signed our agreement,
granting us world rights.  They have 5,200 titles in EPUB format which
they will be uploading shortly with an additional 800 backlist files in
conversion.  We expect to receive 100 titles a month ongoing.

S&S, founded in 1924, is  a division of CBS Corporation and is one of the four
largest English-language publishers, alongside Random House, Penguin, and
HarperCollins.  It publishes over 2,000 titles annually under 35 different
imprints, including Pocket Books, Scribner, Free Press,
Atria, Fireside, Touchstone, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, Little
Simon, Simon Spotlight, and Simon Spotlight Entertainment.

S&S has won 54
Pulitzer Prizes and been the recipient of numerous National Book
Awards, National Book Critics Circle Awards, Grammy Awards, and Newbery
and Caldecott Medals. The New York Times Book Review's "10 Best Books of 2009"
list included Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls; A Short History of Women by
Kate Walbert; and Raymond Carver by Carol Sklenicka.
S&S authors include Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Bob Woodward,
David McCullough, Jackie Collins, Hillary Clinton, and Michael Moore.
They publish 27 dramatic works, including The Miracle Worker by William Gibson.

Simon and
Schuster.net offers resources for K-12 and higher ed educators and
librarians such as classroom activities, reading and curriculum guides,
reading lists by state of award-winning titles, and suggested titles
for course adoption. They publish the Folger Shakespeare Library
with full explanatory notes, The Ernest Hemingway Library, and the
Scott Fitzgerald Library. The “Enriched Classics Books” series
consists of annotated editions of over 80 classic works of literature
and nonfiction.

S&S has 1500 employees and distributes its
titles in more than 100 countries and territories around the world.  It
has publishing and distribution capabilities in the United States,
Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia, as well as an international
sales presence in every major market.---
Carrie again. The answer to your first question is no, we don't know when they
will be sending us the books. And no, we don't know which books they will send
us. Believe me, if we knew, we'd tell you!

So now HarperCollins, Random House, and Simon&Schuster are giving us their
books in digital format free. Wahoo! Usually the books that publishing houses
digitize first are their most recent books, and then they work backwards in
time. No idea if they will digitize ALL of the books that they have ever
published, or if they will stop at some point. So should you scan a book from
one of these publishers? If it's an old book, sure, you bet, please scan it. If
it's a more recent book, I dunno. Please be warned that the more recent the
book, the greater the likelihood that we will be getting the book from the
publisher. No idea WHEN the book will appear, but chances are high that it will
be soon.

I am especially excited to put the play, The Miracle Worker, into the
collection. I have had a LOT of requests for it. And it's certainly appropriate
for Bookshare!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Carrie