[bksvol-discuss] Re: Sighted Help with a Synopsis

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:07:09 -0500

#
It is those synopses on Amazon that are being talked about. Amazon calls them editorial reviews. I think they are mostly excerpts from reviews that appeared in book review journals or magazines. In any case, they are promotional material. They exist to advertise the book and get people to buy it. We have been instructed that they are fair game to include as a synopsis on Bookshare. They may or may not match the back covers, but that shouldn't matter. If you can't get the back cover to scan then those editorial reviews at Amazon should be able to substitute just fine.
On 12/5/2013 6:52 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
I hope Madeleine will jump in, but I did not think any reviews, commercial or
individual, were permissible in the synopsis, unless auto-completed with the
metadata. I do believe, however, the synopses on Amazon (sans any reviews) are
permissible. I could very well be wrong, but that has always been my impression
and the rule I used.

Having said that, I am terrible at writing a long synopsis most of the time,
and I am guilty of simply copying the short synopsis and putting it in the long
synopsis when I cannot come up with a coherent explanation myself. A lot
depends on the book and how I am personally doing mentally at the time. Wink. I
am ever so grateful to the people who have a gift of writing synopses and have
horrible dread in trying to write them myself.

Valerie

On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:42 PM, Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Christina!

I don't know about editorial reviews always matching, because I have only had
to use them once or twice,  but it has been said, (if my memory isn't failing
me), that it is allowed to use editorial reviews, just not customer reviews.

Debby

At 10:37 PM 12/4/2013, Christina wrote
Hi.
This is really cool.
Do the editorial reviews always match the back of the book?
Thanks.