[bksvol-discuss] Re: Sighted Help

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 07:31:09 -0800

"Maybe we can find out where this history went insane."
"Loquerisne latine?" That drew a blank. " 'Ellenizeio?"
General ap Ceorn jerked, blew out his mustache, and narrowed his eyes. "Hellenach?" he demanded. "Yrn Parthia?"

Ellenizeio is in Greek letters. That's my best guess for translitteration. The Greek is capital eta, lambda, lambda, eta, iota, xi, eta, iota, omicron. From context, the character appears to be asking, first, "Do you speak latin?" then, "Hellenic?"

I would put Hellenic in place of the Greek letters, then after that put something like [scanner's note: in the printed book this word is in Greek letters]

Misha
On 1/17/2015 5:32 AM, Gary Petraccaro wrote:
The Guardians of Time, Poul Anderson, The story is Delenda Est. The paragraph starts with "Loquerisne". Some of the rest is not in standard letters. If someone knows what it is in and has an idea of what to do with it, I'd like to know.
Thanks.
It can be found in the SFBC's The Annals of the Time Patrol on 123 at the bottom, but perhaps you can find it elsewhere.