[bksvol-discuss] Shreve, and others (was: just submitted Fortune's Rocks)

  • From: <vining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:08:28 -0800

*laugh* Oh my! You must be doing too much Bookshare work!

I frequently forget which Anita Brookner books I've submitted, but I think
that's because they are all a bit similar.

Well, if you liked Fortune's Rocks, you might give Rosie Thomas's "the white
Dove" a try. It's set in England starting in the 1920s, and does evoke the
time fairly well. (I always wonder how true such statements actually are, if
someone who lived in the '20s would agree or not, but oh well. . LOL)

It's not on Bookshare yet, but I plan to add her books eventually. They
aren't fluffy romance novels, despite the title of this one. (I can't
tolerate much fluff! LOL)

Here's a synopsis:
As the daughter of a British lord and an American steel heiress, Amy Lovell
must reconcile her youthful dreams of living daringly with practical
realities and ties to her family. After becoming involved with a married
Welsh miner and union organizer, she trains as
a nurse and joins him in Spain to fight fascism.

Also, maybe you'd like "I, Roberta" by Elizabeth Gray Vining which *is* on
Bookshare, and one I
submitted and do highly recommend. *shameless plug* I found this book while
researching my family name, though I don't think this author is a relation.
It's beautifully written, IMO, and set in the 1890s in New Jersey, and is
written in journal form. It is one of my all-time favorite books, which
isn't an easy thing to
be. *smile* It isn't an overly long
book, (and I like 'em to be long!) just 224 pages, but you don't feel as if
there was anything left untold.

Synopsis:
At a crisis in her life, Roberta begins a journalin which she looks back on
her early youth in a small SouthJersey town in the 1890's. The process
clarifies
her relationships with her father, her domineering mother, her faithless
husband, and her adored son.

so... I know with so many categories to choose from it's difficult, but I'm
curious to know what one book would you all suggest, if you had to choose
one to read yourself, or to recommend others read?

Joanie, pondering my own answer to that

From: "bud schwab"

> Hi Joanie,
>
> I'll look for some of her books.  I did the Weight of Water and I see it's
> up there.  I'm so absented minded that I started to scan it a second time
> before I looked up there and there it was sent in by myself.
>
> BudAt 09:13 PM 3/28/2005, you wrote:
> >Oh, I'm sorry you've gone to so much trouble, Bud! I've done it myself
once.

> >If you have any of her other books, I'd like to see them on Bookshare, as
> >I've only read two. I liked her descriptions; they made me wish I owned a
> >house on that beach! *smile* Lovely. I know there are a handful already
up,
> >but can't recall all of the titles--Sea Glass and The Weight of Water are
> >among them.
> >
> >Joanie

I'd