[bksvol-discuss] Re: Should I Even Bother Scanning This Book?

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:25:00 -0800

Ignoring the fact that the individual stories are very likely to be available in public domain books (the H. P. Lovecraft intro may not) ... here are my thoughts on scanning this particular book.

The book might not be interrupted by as many blank pages etc as you think. Are the illustration pages and the blanks after them numbered? If not, then bookshare allows you to skip them. If they have descriptive captions, you can put them at the end of the book along with a scanner's note about where they were originally placed. Some people might (for example new braille readers or people with dislexia) might like more but shorter pages.

Just my thoughts ...

Misha

On 11/15/2015 7:43 AM, William Korn (Redacted sender willythekorn for DMARC) wrote:

I chose as my second book to scan for Bookshare a collection of fantasy writing by Lord Dunsany, namely a short work of short stories (some of them very short) entitled "Tales of Three Hemispheres". The book is 160 pages long, including a longish forward by H.P. Lovecraft.

HOWEVER

The edition of the book I have available is an "arty" one. It contains 14 full-page illustrations, as well as large standardized illustrations at the beginning and end of each story, none of which really add anything to the text, and none of them of particular artistic value. (The illustrations in the original 1919 edition were done by the great fantasy artist Sidney Sime, these are not the originals.) Moreover, each illustration is either preceded or followed by a blank page, and there are random blank pages spread throughout the book. Finally, this edition features a large font and very wide margins all around. At a guess, this 160-page book */might /*have as many as 50 pages of text, were it printed without illustrations, blank pages, and with a smaller font and narrower margins.

What concerns me is that the reading experience of this book as a Bookshare book would be constantly interrupted by new pages (i.e. page number announcements), blank pages, or pages with nothing on them but an image not really worth describing. The whole art of Lord Dunsany is in his beautifully crafted text.

Is all this a problem? Is it worth, do you think, continuing with this book?

Bill Korn