[bksvol-discuss] Re: Shakespear: The Tragedies

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 05:09:02 -0800

If these slashes are in short quotes from a play, this may be indicating where the original had line breaks. Instead of the line breaks, the slashes allow it to take up fewer lines on the page. I.e. instead of

Romeo, Romeo
wherefore art thou?

It would be

Romeo, Romeo / wherefore art thou?

Misha

On 12/22/2010 3:15 AM, gail johnson wrote:
Hello,

I am proofing:

Shakespeare: The Tragedies

John Russell Brown

This book has numerous places with / (slash symbol) occurs between words.

i.e.

man / As

text:
'Think you there was or might be such a man / As this I dreamt of?'

Many times the word before the / does not any capitalization but the one after it many times begins with a capitalized letter.

I wonder if I can remove these slash as scanno garbage? Should I change the first letter in the capitalized word if it doesn't seem to make sense?

This is a Dr. Kenneth Cross book.

This is the most common error in the book.

another question:

Does anyone know the zip for London, England? This appears as garbage I believe.

ondon W11MJLP.

or under the terms of any licence permitting limited copying issued by the Copyright Licensing Agency, 90 I ottenham Court Road, London W11MJLP.

Thanks for any suggestions.