[bksvol-discuss] Re: Set of Tomie dePaola "Strega Nona" Children's books validated and uploaded

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:19:04 -0400

Hi all,

Oh, is that the one about the witch and the first book is Strega Nona and it's about spaghetti? Good book. I think it's one of the autographed books of children's authors I have around here.

Reason? My mother ran the Book Fair at her school and each year they invited a children's author to come and lecture and sign books. We had Robert McClusky, Lloyd Alexander, Tommy Dipaulo, Madeleine L'Engle, and others I don't remember. Oh, Silverstein I think. It was an interesting and fascinating time in which to be the daughter of the head of the Book Fair. We had McClusky at our home to dinner. I went to a restaurant with a huge group of people and got to sit near Lloyd Alexander, and I had books signed by Madeleine L'Engle.

Funny story about L'Engle. She'd been lecturing at the school in the evening, and I had gone to listen to her with a friend of mine who is a registered jeweler and goldsmith. We happened to be the last couple of people in line to get our books signed. Jean was watching L'Engle's hands as she signed the books, and when she was done, Jean said to her, "You're going to lose those diamonds if you aren't careful. Take those rings to your local jeweler and have those settings tightened."

Ms. L'Engle was really grateful and said she would do so. Said that the rings were family heirlooms.

It's funny things you remember.

I remember the Strega Nona books because they were so delightful and funny!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring