[bksvol-discuss] Seeking proofreader for Gail Godwin

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:33:18 -0600

I have A Southern Family by Gail Godwin here to scan. It's a big book,
approximately 540 pages, but appears to be straight text. So, it should scan
well.

I'm including a synopsis below. If anyone is interested in proofing, please
contact:
solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx

Here's the synopsis:

 ``All families have themselves problems,'' says Snow Mullins, one of the
marvelously defined characters in this rich, rewarding novel, surely Godwin's
best to date. Snow herself is one of the Quick family's problems: Theo Quick
has married the uneducated (but shrewd) hillbilly woman to the chagrin of his
upper-middle-class parents and siblings. Ralph and Lily Quick are not role
models: their marriage has been deteriorating for many years, and their house
on Quick's Hill in Mountain City, S.C., mirrors both their aspiring gentility
and general decline. When Theo, separated from Snow, shoots another woman who
apparently has rejected him, the shocking and never fully explained event is a
catalyst for many changes and insights in the survivors' lives. Both Clare
Quick, Lily's daughter by a first marriage, and Rafe, the younger brother, are
plagued with guilt over their failures to heed Theo's desperation. Throughout
the leisurely narrative, Godwin examines the traditional concept of family, and
speculates on filial duty versus the need to live an independent life; she
comments on Southerners as a particular breed, on the solace of Catholicism,
and on the essential inscrutability of human relationships. Because Clare is a
successful author who muses about her craft, one is very conscious of a
writer's sensibility here. ``The kind of fiction I was trying to write,'' Clare
says, is deep breathing, reflective and with . . . a patience for detail.'' She
also refers to the quality of ``compassionate understanding.'' Those words
describe this wise, humane, immensely appealing novel very well.