[bksvol-discuss] Seeking Tips...

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:23 -0400

Hi,

As I mentioned the other day, I scanned the entire book, "Building Powerful
Web Sites with Drupal 6" (I may have left a word or two out of the title)
and, yesterday, started proofing it.  The OmniPage 15 proof reading dialogue
isn't exactly "JAWS friendly" but it isn't impossible either.  Doing this by
myself was slow so Susan (my lovely and sighted wife) took over.

It seems that this book has a lot of screen shots containing text in some
sort of box - OmniPage 15 recognizes about half of the words in the text
surrounded by some sort of graphical element pretending to be a screen.
Also, the book has a bunch of icon like epigraphs in the margins trying to
point out items of importance, of clarification or, having read a few with
Sue, seemingly random points in the book.

A couple of friends sent along some good tips yesterday for future use but,
as we're complete novices at all of this, any more ideas on scanner and OCR
settings and anything else we can do to make the process go faster would be
greatly appreciated.

Finally, if you are looking for a really nice document oriented scanner, I
can now highly recommend the Xerox DocuMate 125 ($350 at newegg.com).  It is
a purely document feeder solution so it has no flat bed features (we have
two other scanners that do) but it's really fast and does both sides of the
pages at the same time.  For price/performance, this little guy really
cooks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Enjoy,
cdh