[bksvol-discuss] Scarlet Pimpernel

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:25:19 -0500

        Hi Cindy,

Since Pratik hasn't read it, I'll give you my opinion.
I think quite a bit of the fiction of the early 19th to early 20th century, was true to the politics and sentiment of popular feeling.
It was a time of empire building, the industrial revolution, public education for the middle class, a period of increased access and interest in literature by social classes other than just the wealthy and successful. We end up with romantic, swashbuckling adventures, sometimes tragic, but usually heroic. Authors such as: Dumas, Verne, Scott, Stevenson, Sabatini, McCulley, Orczy, Cooper, Wells, Kipling, etc.
I'd venture to say that literature moved from moral, spiritual building, to escapism, leisure reading.

Dave

At 08:24 PM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
Maybe Pratik is a realist and not a romantic (smile).
Pratik, what do you think of The Scarlet Pimpernel, or
have you not read or seen it?