[bksvol-discuss] Scannos I found in Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Memoirs of a Geisha

  • From: Dilsiaa@xxxxxxx
  • To: BksVol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:46:12 EDT

Hi MIckey:

I am currently working in some scanning and in the Book 5 of the Chronicles
of Narnia The Voyage of the Dawn Treader I found that instead of "direction"
the  word came out "Erection".

When I validated Memoirs of a Geisha I found lots of ~ intead of the text
and whenever there was the word "be" or "but" instead there were "he" and
"hut".
 Also the b was replaced by the h in several words. <sigh>

But now is validated and in the  admin pool, in shape to be enjoyed by  the
membership

Very truly yours
Dilsia

From: "mickey" <micka@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Don't  trust those spell checkers!
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:55:47  -0400

There's been some discussion about scanning books and running them  through
the spell checkers. If the book gets a high rating, we assume good  scans,
and may or may not read the books.
The validator may do the same  thing, leaving such interesting lines as: "I
parked my ear in the parking  lot." and others that don't come to mind right
now.

I'm validating a  book which has a lot of slight changes, and the ONLY way to
catch them is to  read the book. Proper names which could be Cary or Gary,
street names which  need checking, and ears which drive around the city of
Gleveland.

I  guess my point is really just not to trust our scanners and scanning
programs  too far. These books still need to be read before we should put
them up for  public  consumption.

Mickey