[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning with kurzweil 1000

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garypet130@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 05:09:13 -0400

It will change from book to book and sometimes from page to page.  There will
be ballpark settings for a particular scanner, and you'll learn those over
time.  Like other people have said learn to use the Optimize feature at first
and even later it will give you good guidance.
One thing I must stress is Do Not use Autocorrections without checking what's
been corrected.  I've had books where one of the caracters speaks in some kind
of dialect and the corrections will eat that alive.  Either strip those
corrections out in advance, or do a correct, read the output of the corrections
feature and see what you need to change.  Or just turn auto correct off and
read through your book.

For anyone else using K1000 and still tuned in, my specific problems were with
Poul Anderson and his people who would speak with a Danish or German accent.
The v's such as in vork, vomen, vill, etc., were all changed to w's.  Worse,
the word "wold" which he uses sometimes, got changed to "would".  I can send
you my corrections file, but you would need to know where to put it.  Version
13 can handle this, but I don't know about earlier versions even my beloved
version 11.
Sorry for the long message.
Whichever ones work for the particular book.