[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning question

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:06:46 -0500

I would say that the question is unanswerable because of the vast differences in how we scan. There is no way I will be able to scan a 300 page book in only an hour to seventy-five minutes. I just finished a book that I was scanning at a rate of fourteen pages a day. Each of those sessions took me a bit over an hour if I didn't run into any problems and occasionally I did run into problems. I was scanning one page at a time and preproofing each page before I scanned the next page. Another recent book I scanned took me about three hours or more a day. That one had over 500 pages and I was doing thirty pages a day. Again, depending on whether I am scanning one page at a time or two pages at a time I preproof each one or two pages before going on to the next one or two. Here is how I decide how much to scan each day. I figure that I have to have twenty books accepted into the collection per year to cover the cost of my subscription. So I divide 365 days by twenty and I get 18.25 days to complete each book. I divide the number of pages by 18.25 and round up to the nearest even number and that is how many pages I set for myself to scan each day. If the book is a short book I can do it in about an hour. If it is a long one it takes three or more hours a day. If it is a long and complex one I can work all afternoon. But I manage to finish one about every seventeen to eighteen days.

On 11/9/2015 2:01 AM, Katherine Petersen (Redacted sender katherine_petersen for DMARC) wrote:

Hi Judy,

Hard covers are faster than paperbacks for me as they’re usually cleaner. Sometimes I’ll do them in spurts, but I’d say a 300-page novel usually takes an hour to 75 minutes, give or take.

Sometimes I’ll scan the whole book and then go back and scan a couple pages if they were messed up; other times I’ll stop when one messes up, work on what’s done and then continue. Some people scan one page at a time, and I do two at a time though.

Hope this helps.

--Katherine