[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning question

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 03:43:48 -0600

Hi, Judy!

Most of the books I do are about 240 and scanning on my OpticBook 3900 in
automatic mode, the physical end is about 3 pages a minute at 300 DPI, 6 pages
if it fits on the glass in 2 page mode (90-45 minutes). OCR TOTALLY depends on
the font and headers or pagination and the process I use making boxes on text
to recognize, but if very clean, due to my slow hands, probably close to an
hour. Processing and prepping and standardizing usually takes 10-30 minutes,
making sure no pages were missed. If I have to paginate, that’s another 20-45
minutes depending on page length. And I virtually always read through as is I
was proofreading, so depending on content , my interest and interruptions, and
number of scanning errors, 4-10 hours.

So, a midrange book like you described could take me as little as 6+-13 hours,
give or take.

HTH!
Valerie

On Nov 8, 2015, at 11:49 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For you guys who scan, how long does it take to scan a novel of, say, 200 to
300 pages, something with straightforward fonts, no footnotes or
illustrations? I know it's different depending on the type of scanner you
use, and your software, and how difficult it is to scan a particular book
based on its binding and age, but I'd really appreciate any ballpark figures
you can share.