[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Software Question

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:51:23 -0400

Hi, Jim. I honestly know nothing about Vista. I don't have it on any
machines at home or at work. My best guess is that if your scanner
driver is Vista-compatible, FineReader 7 or 8 should work smoothly. I
can vouch for the software under both XP and Windows 2000. Maybe
someone else on this list has more experience with Vista.

As for Openbook and Kurzweil, they both work under Vista according to
friends I have who are running the OS at work. Jake has written a nice
article about some of the key differences he has noticed between
Kurzweil and Openbook. It's a couple of years old but is still valid
in most respects. He wrote this while he was a fellow volunteer, not
as part of his current employment at Bookshare. I own both programs
and have had similar experiences. Here's the link in case you're
interested.
http://www.jbrownell.com/ko.html

--
Monica Willyard