[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Software Question

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:24:13 -0700

Jim:

Usually OCR software actually accompanies those. It's generally some
cutdown version of omnipage or textbridge. BTW, textbridge I think
costs around $60 & is a quite good text OCR package. It was pretty
accessible last time I checked, too, though it's been a long time. In
fact, if u look on your multifunction, there are often buttons, & 1 of
them is usually labeled text OCR or something similar. Position the
page, press the button, & off u go--provided, of course, that u
installed the proper software. W/these it's best if u can cut the
books up because positioning a book can be difficult, depending, of
course, on how the printer is located relative to the scanner.

There are free packages out there but my experience w/them is that
they're not all that. In this case u often really do get what u pay
for.

On 7/30/08, james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there any free or low-cost scanning software suitable for scanning books
> for Bookshare? We have one of those multi-function printers and sometimes I
> wonder if it can be a decent scanner.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
> James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
> james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
>
> "it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
> Margaret Bonnano
>
> Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
> http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: