[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Questions

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:04:34 -0400

Hi Rolph,

I can't answer your first question, but as to your second one: You can
definitely scan print versions of books that have electronic editions. That
makes no difference.

As to your third question: If you are not getting good results, don't be afraid
to play around with the settings in your software. I have no idea what features
your OCR software has, but check out the menus and see what's there. If you are
getting more than a few errors on each page, and the print quality is pretty
good, adjust the contrast setting if you have one and try scanning the same
page again. Keep your resolution at 300dpi for best results in most cases.
There are no magic settings that always work best, but if you have an option to
scan in grayscale, that can often give better recognition than other settings,
although it requires more computer power to digest the larger amount of data
that a grayscale image contains. If you have a fairly new or fast machine
though, you won't notice too much of a slowdown in recognition speed. Make sure
your pages are straight and that they don't move during the scanning process.
But you probably already know that one.

Evan