[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Guideposts & Readers Digest

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 02:59:22 -0800

Reading the copyright law I certainly don't see any legal reason
bookshare can't offer magazines.  I do see numerous potential
technical issues though.

1)  As someone else asked, would the ads need to be included?  I am
fairly sure that the large print edition of Guideposts does not
include the ads, but I may well be mistaken.

2)  What about content searching, especially for the types of literary
magazines just mentioned someone may well wish to search for stories
by particular authors.  This would make the database issues much more
complicated, as well as the meta-data entry process.

3)  Other magazines (Countryside as an example) have numerous
extremely high quality photos.  Bookshare would need to add the
ability for volunteers to upload books with images intact for lots of
magazines to be full value to the sighted members.   Other magazines
contain graphs and charts that would be valuable to retain.

I too have thought of this, due to having a large collection of Analog
Science Fiction/Science Fact.  Many of them are old and fragile enough
however that I would be extremely reluctant to scan them even if
bookshare would post.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx