[bksvol-discuss] Scanners and the walth of books

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:50:36 -0500

I also was one of those frustrated by what NLS would send me as a student in
High school and Middle school.

They never seemed to have the books I wanted to read, and I read so slow on
the CCTV that I missed out on a lot of good stuff as a kid.

But since I joined bookshare and got my first scanner in 2000, I have been
rediscovering the books I missed out on like The Black Stallion Series, and
Lassie Come-Home, and the Terhune books and the Newberry and Caldecott medal
winners, which were there, and I had time to get them but the effort of
reading was well.  It would take me an hour or two to do a chapter of my
History text.  So of course there usually wasn't much time devoted to
reading for pleasure.  And that when I was in elementary school my teachers
kind of turned me off to reading because of the stories we had to read.

I do remember, one of my favorite shows as a kid was Reading Rainbow, and I
loved it so much because it brought books to life and the pictures were so
bright and colorful I could sit in front of the TV and see them.  Those
books are still some of my favorites, and the show is still on public
television.

Man, I wish I had a scanner in High school.  smile, would have made life a
whole lot easier, and perhaps, I would have gotten brave enough to apply for
Honors English.  Everyone said I had the skills, but I wasn't up for all the
extra work.  I see some of the kids today when I visit them, who have the
tools sitting in front of them, a large sized double sided embosser and a
lap top and scanner, and they don't use them, and I want to say, can I
please have that, you can have my blazer, smile.  It is so frustrating, I
would have killed to have that kind of technology in H.S.  I had a lap top
with eight Mb of Ram.  that was it, smile.  We did have jaws and MS Word on
it, but that was all it could handle.

But I definitely feel rich.  Reading is a joy and having so many choices, it
feels like such a Luxurious thing, like a bubble bath while listening to a
great book on the BC, of course out of the water, smile.

Bookshare is a great service and I only see it getting better over the
years.

Smile.  Sorry if this doen't make sense need to go to bed.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.