[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanner's Elbow?

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:02:44 -0700

I'll preface my remarks by saying I've had a prior ruptured right
radial tendon. Having said thus, I recently got a plustech opticbook
because I was no longer able to use a flatbed scanner due to the elbow
pain & numbness in my fingers.

Ibuprofin helps w/the pain--the problem is that, in masking it, u may
be doing more damage to the lateral epicondyle & its surrounding
structures because you're able to keep doing what's causing damage in
the 1st place. A brace can help, especially in the acute phase, but
care needs to be taken, as longterm use may cause decreased muscle
tone, which will worsen the situation in the long run. Exercises to
strengthen the surrounding musculature, once the acute phase has
ended, is indeed an excellent idea & will actually assist in
aleviating the symptoms.

Finding alternate ways of doing the activities u wanna do while not
straining the elbow is also highly advised, & some activities that
cause pain may need to be discontinued altogether if alternatives
can't be found.

Just a little advice from your friendly former physician.

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride