[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanner questions?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:20:50 -0500

EPSON 1660 is excellent if you can still find one.  But it has been out of
production for one yar and it may be difficult to source one.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/21/2004 09:40 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanner questions?

I use my Epson 1660 for both scanning books with OCR and scanning pictures

using the Scanning wizard available in XP.

I have to agree with guido with the scanner printer combinations, ehy
aren't
worth your time.

Though, depending on finances a copy of Abby's Fine Reader by itself will
be
a bit more tweaking to use, but can net good results too.  This program is

not designed for blind people so will take some time to learn how to use
and
hopefully you have a screen reader or a screen magnifier to make it
accessible but it is an alternative if you don't have the funding to buy
Kurzweil.  Which is of course my first choice, smile.  Fine Reader Seven
is
going for about $300 last time I checked.

But definitely stay with a flat bed scanner.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com