[bksvol-discuss] Sad decision

  • From: "mickey" <micka@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:32:44 -0500

Hi, Group.

This is my third year of volunteering with Bookshare. I think it's a great source of wonderful reading material of all types.

However, I know that the Palo Alto center is understaffed, that they're behind. But in the past month I've validated or nearly validated books that were in the administrative queue, which ended up being a total waste of my time. I read a book thoroughly, making corrections when I can as well as spellchecking.

It's impossible to know what is being done, or what has been done--both for the scanner and the validator.

I'm taking a course in medical transcribing, plus working, and can't afford to spin my wheels.

So, for now, I'll stop volunteering. I'll keep abreast of things, in case things get better, but I'm returning the books I've taken to validate.

It's been good working with you all. Thanks.

Mickey