[bksvol-discuss] Rethinking A Decision

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:23:01 -0400

Hi, everyone. Something has been bugging me over the past few days, and I'd really like some input from you all. After reading a couple of articles about the General Accounting Office suggesting that NLS funding for going digital should be denied, I'm becoming worried about a decision several of us made some time back. As has been discussed here before, many of us do not scan books that are available in WebBraille since that would be a duplication of efforts. We do scan books that are available on cassette only because we have several users with hearing impairments who can't listen to tapes. If funding for going digital is not approved, will that impact existing NLS services? Brf files are digitally prepared, aren't they? If so, should we rethink our decision not to scan books that are on WebBraille? As a person who can hear, I know I can just move to Audible and get commercially available audiobooks. I'm trying hard to be aware of the needs of people who don't have that option. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing here. If I am, a friendly "chill out" message would be appreciated. (smile)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of 
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

Other related posts: