[bksvol-discuss] Re: Research task for a motivated volunteer

  • From: Courtney Stover <liamskitten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 00:17:19 -0600

Lissi:

His Dark Materials and Remains Of The Day are both mind-bogglingly
incredible!  I'd probably recommend His Dark Materials first; it has
this bittersweet ending that still manages to be wonderfully hopeful
and uplifting, and it really deals with issues of authority and what
our obligations to those in authority are and when we can ethically
decide those obligations cease.  I just finished reading them again
for the thousandth time, and I'm still on that exhillarating high you
get when you've read a perfect book; perfect writing and characters
with the themes carried to their perfect conclusions.

In terms of theme/morality, it really reminds me of Tigana by Kay;
there is no good and evil; the characters who are at first presented
as evil can rise to do great things, while the "good" guys can do
horrible things.  And there's this moral ambiguity because the truth
doesn't rest with one person; it lies somewhere in between what
everyone sees as the truth.  And everyone sees what they are doing, no
matter how dreadful, as morally right.

Remains I've just started, and am loving so far; I'd be thrilled to
discuss your thoughts on iether of them once you finish offlist.  And
always feel free to chat about good books in general; I'm always up
for an E-mail/phone chat.
Courtney