[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rescanning Naomi Novik Temeraire

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

It was more just a question prompted by the fact that I didn't realize that I
didn't know we couldn't because, of course, the book would already be in the
collection (as I said, I wasn't thinking clearly. But I also thought, perhaps
erroneously that PQ books don't have the navigation factors and sometimes have
other problems.  How could one add image descriptions to a PQ book?  Could a
sighted member download the book and add the description and then upload it?
just curious.

>________________________________

unless image descriptions were being added, and that could more easily be done
using the PQ book.

>Mayrie
>

>________________________________

replace  volunteer-scanned and-proofed books in the collection, but is it
true that once a publisher donates an ebook no volunteers cannot scan
and/orproof that book?

>>________________________________

  quality book yet but it seems strange. Oh if anybody is interested there is a
  seventh one called crucible of gold in that series. Either somebody here will
  need to scan it or contact the publisher for it it should be
  possible.

>>Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>On May 29, 2012, at 4:03 PM, "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>

>>Hi Dasha,
>>>
>>>The Temeraire books are all
    publisher quality.  That means that they were submitted by a publisher
    and cannot be replaced by a volunteer scan. Publisher quality scans trump
    all other versions.

>>>The reason the Temeraire books don't have page
    numbers or page breaks is that they came from electronic versions the
    publisher originally intended for e-readers. Many e-reader books do not
have
    page numbers or page breaks in them. That's the way they are sold to
sighted
    readers, so that's the way the come to Bookshare direct from the
    publisher.

>>>The spelling errors as well are direct from the publisher,
    and can't be corrected by us volunteers.

>>>Hope that helps explain why
    those books are that way! smile.

    9:33 AM, Dasha Radford wrote:
>>>Hi,
If somebody was interested in doing this it might be helpful. I just recently
downloaded the copies of Naomi Novik's Temeraire adventures series. There is
something I noticed in book one and I know it is true in the first one and I'm
not sure but I can check the others. That one seems to only have section breaks
and no page breaks as well as some very clear spelling errors. I'll check the
others but I'm wondering. If someone still has the copies of these books could
they rescan them and put them up for proofreading? I would like to see if we
can't improve the quality.
Thanks to all and let me know what you guys think,
DR Sent from my iPhone To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in
the subject line.  To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by
itself in the subject line.