[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:49:38 -0400

The reality is that there is so much difference between some of the good scans i come across and the others that those of us who validate really have issues about letting those poorer scans through without the kind of correcting which frankly takes quite a bit of validating time. If we are told not to spend that time, yes we can push the book through into the collection and correct it later. However, I think what folks are really saying is that some folks are really producing good scans and some scans are really not so good. There are reasons for poor scans. This is not a personal criticism except that machines are stupid. They do what you tell them to do. If you check out a scan and adjust settings and do just a little more up front work, much validating time can be saved.

I personally validate books I think are in good shape. I will continue to do that. I will not reject books I think need a lot of work. However, I may release them. I can that way concentrate on getting those numbers of validations up. At least then we will end up with a backlog of books with the best scans picked out of them for immediate acceptance to the new books list. Then we can all as a group figure out what to do with the poorer scans.

E.