[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:30:17 -0400

I validate pretty much exclusively. I know some of you scan pretty much exclusively. This is addressed to the ones who do the scans. My experience is that either a book is practically perfect or it is prone to patterned scanning errors. i have described many of these and many of us have made suggestions as to how to fix them. My experience is there is getting to be less and less middle ground. In other words, scans tend to be very good and take almost no time to validate or they tend to be full of patterned errors. Fixing those takes more time for the validator than it would take the person scanning them to fix.

I do know bookshare subscribers who dislike books full of these scanning errors and will not download them.

If we really are going for a goal of number of books and are going to minimize the importance of scanning errors, it is even more important that the person doing the scans be extra careful and use the latest possible versions of software to minimize errors. We validators are implicitly being told to go for quantity over quality and as much as we dislike it that does seem to be the party line.

E.