[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requesting a book ASAP

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:41:43 -0600

Hi Monica,

I don't think Bookshare scans books that are sent in or requested, except for textbooks that are requested for classes. They used to, but it's been a couple of years since they've done that.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 3/4/2015 12:25 AM, Monica Willyard Moen wrote:
Hi Lisa. That's a pretty big project to tackle, especially with a
flatbed scanner. Have you considered asking Bookshare to scan the book
for you? If it's not for a class, you would have to buy the book since
they'd cut off the binding and feed it through their document feeder
for a faster scan. That would preclude renting the book. However, it
might result in a better reading experience for your friend. Books
like this one often have footnotes, sidebars,  and reference notes
that can be a headache to scan clearly.

I admire your friend's desire to learn. I think the reason no one has
offered to do the scan for you is that, beyond scanning, most of us
read every page of the books we scan to fix any errors. We will
sometimes take on books that don't interest us, but those are usually
shorter books. I personally don't really enjoy philosophy, and over a
thousand pages of it is way more than I'd commit to scanning and
reading. I did a 450 page book on personality theory, and that was
enough for me. I would be thrilled if I never saw another footnote
reference for at least a decade. (smile)

I hope you can either get Bookshare to do the scan or find a volunteer
with a similar passion for philosophy.

On 3/3/15, LisaCushman <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortunately, it's 1024 pages.  I guess I'll make a request on the
bookstore site, as no one on the list seems very interested.

Thanks,
Lisa

On Mar 3, 2015, at 12:55 AM, Gary Petraccaro <garypet130@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

How long is it?  Sound like 900 plus pages.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Cushman"
<crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>