[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requesting Member Feedback: Series Titles

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:23:57 -0800

Hi Jill,

        I'm not Shelley, but I can answer your questions.  If the # symbol
isn't used, yes, the braille number would still be preceded by the braille
number sign, but only one.  This is because of the translation of numbers
into braille.  A synthesizer says "number 3" when the number is preceded by
a number symbol, but just "three" when it isn't.  The reason that you see
two number signs in braille is because the first represents the number
symbol, and the second is inserted by braille translation so that the
braille reader can distinguish the number as a number and not a letter.
Does that make sense?

Mayrie