[bksvol-discuss] Re: Report on national Novel Writing Month

  • From: "Mystery Train" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:17:06 -0600

Sadly, I only got 15 thousand words done. Real life got in the way. But I am going to finish it some day. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Smith" <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>

To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 12:44 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Report on national Novel Writing Month

Congratulations, Nan. I definitely need to do this next year. It is so true about doing something for 21 straight days. I did it with a exercise program once. Need to get back in to that too, especially with the holidays coming up.

Melissa

Nan Hawthorne wrote:
Last month, November 2009, was National Novel Writing Month www.nanowrimo.org .

I took part last year.. did nto get my 50,000 words for that year, and also this year, and I did make it and then some.. 78,000 words in 30 days! I actually finished the first draft of a new novel, so now I am working on the edits and rewrites.

I wanted to recommend this event to everyone who writes and who has ever wanted to give novel writing a go.. The concept is terrific.. just to get people writing, whether the finished product is a publishable novel or not.. most people are too perfectionist and sabotage themselves too soon. Just getting into the habit of writing is the idea. The creation of a novel is supposed to be a process, where each draft is better than the last. So why quit before you've even tried? The group has a young writers program too, and the whole thing is supportive and encouraging.

This year I was in the doldrums, worrying that I had written my one novel and would n ot have another one in me. I decided to NaNoWriMo.. its nickname.. because there is an old saw that if you do anything for 21 straight days it becomes a habit.. and it worked. Yay!!! I am back in the saddle again.

Just FYI - my novel this time is about a woman who goes to the crusades disguised as her late twin brother.

I plan to get active as a volunteer again in 2010. I heard from a couple people who are willing to partner with me as I scan and they proof what I scan. Thanks!

Nan Hawthorne
www.nanhawthorne.com