[bksvol-discuss] Re: Report on national Novel Writing Month

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:50:49 -0600

Jackie, is the creative writing group you speak of an online group, or a local group you belong to?

Melissa

Jackie McBride wrote:
1 of the members of our creative writers' group, Lana Van Horn, did it
also & completed her 50k.

On 12/3/09, Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Congratulations, Nan. I definitely need to do this next year. It is so
true about doing something for 21 straight days. I did it with a
exercise program once. Need to get back in to that too, especially with
the holidays coming up.

Melissa

Nan Hawthorne wrote:
Last month, November 2009, was National Novel Writing Month
www.nanowrimo.org .

I took part last year.. did nto get my 50,000 words for that year, and
also this year, and I did make it and then some.. 78,000 words in 30
days!  I actually finished the first draft of a new novel, so now I am
working on the edits and rewrites.

I wanted to recommend this event to everyone who writes and who has
ever wanted to give novel writing a go.. The concept is terrific..
just to get people writing, whether the finished product is a
publishable novel or not.. most people are too perfectionist and
sabotage themselves too soon.  Just getting into the habit of writing
is the idea.  The creation of a novel is supposed to be a process,
where each draft is better than the last.  So why quit before you've
even tried?  The group has a young writers program too, and the whole
thing is supportive and encouraging.

This year I was in the doldrums, worrying that I had written my one
novel and would n ot have another one in me.  I decided to NaNoWriMo..
its nickname.. because there is an old saw that if you do anything for
21 straight days it becomes a  habit.. and it worked.  Yay!!!  I am
back in the saddle again.

Just FYI  - my novel this time is about a woman who goes to the
crusades disguised as her late twin brother.

I plan to get active as a volunteer again in 2010.  I heard from a
couple people who are willing to partner with me as I scan and they
proof what I scan.  Thanks!

Nan Hawthorne
www.nanhawthorne.com
subject line.