[bksvol-discuss] Re: Report on national Novel Writing Month

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:48:05 -0700

1 of the members of our creative writers' group, Lana Van Horn, did it
also & completed her 50k.

On 12/3/09, Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Congratulations, Nan. I definitely need to do this next year. It is so
> true about doing something for 21 straight days. I did it with a
> exercise program once. Need to get back in to that too, especially with
> the holidays coming up.
>

> Melissa
>

> Nan Hawthorne wrote:
>> Last month, November 2009, was National Novel Writing Month
>> www.nanowrimo.org .
>>
>> I took part last year.. did nto get my 50,000 words for that year, and
>> also this year, and I did make it and then some.. 78,000 words in 30
>> days!  I actually finished the first draft of a new novel, so now I am
>> working on the edits and rewrites.
>>
>> I wanted to recommend this event to everyone who writes and who has
>> ever wanted to give novel writing a go.. The concept is terrific..
>> just to get people writing, whether the finished product is a
>> publishable novel or not.. most people are too perfectionist and
>> sabotage themselves too soon.  Just getting into the habit of writing
>> is the idea.  The creation of a novel is supposed to be a process,
>> where each draft is better than the last.  So why quit before you've
>> even tried?  The group has a young writers program too, and the whole
>> thing is supportive and encouraging.
>>
>> This year I was in the doldrums, worrying that I had written my one
>> novel and would n ot have another one in me.  I decided to NaNoWriMo..
>> its nickname.. because there is an old saw that if you do anything for
>> 21 straight days it becomes a  habit.. and it worked.  Yay!!!  I am
>> back in the saddle again.
>>
>> Just FYI  - my novel this time is about a woman who goes to the
>> crusades disguised as her late twin brother.
>>
>> I plan to get active as a volunteer again in 2010.  I heard from a
>> couple people who are willing to partner with me as I scan and they
>> proof what I scan.  Thanks!
>>
>> Nan Hawthorne
>> www.nanhawthorne.com
>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
>> subject line.

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
www.abletec.serverheaven.net
Please join me Saturday, 11/7, on my walk against breast cancer by
making a donation at:
http://main.acsevents.org/goto/larkspur>