[bksvol-discuss] Re: Remembering Last Year

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:53:22 -0600

Thanks Gerald.

Sue S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gerald Hovas
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:37 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Remembering Last Year

Sue,

Carrie said she already checked it and it still has the problem.  Gustavo
probably pulled it until Carrie can get it fixed.

Gerald

----

  From: "Marissa Mika" <Marissa.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:53:51 -0800

  Hi Guys,

  So operations has decided that the download list is just much too long.
  Beginning on Monday, April 4th, book submissions waiting to be validated
for
  more than two weeks will be automatically processed by a validating tool
and
  either accepted or rejected for the collection. Because of our successes
with
  the stripper and other automating processes, we're pretty much convinced
that
  computer judgement is just as good as human judgement.

  Obviously you might ask, where does this put the volunteers? Well, not too
much
  will change, other than the fact that if you see a title on the download
page
  that you like, you should snatch it up immediately. Who knows? The
validation
  tool, whom we've named "Thor," might zap it up the next day.

  Anyway, we figured that this would be much more convenient for everyone
  involved, especially me, so I don't have to listen to complaints as to how
long
  the download list is from day to day.

  And on that note, we've also decided to terminate the volunteer list,
starting
  Monday, April 4th. The idea behind this is that the Bookshare.org Ops team
  needs to rule with an iron fist, and voices of dissent and critique don't
have
  a place in this fuzzy nonprofit.

  Oh, and I'll be out of the office for most of the day, getting more books
  flood the step one page. So I'll get back to you by Monday.

  I realize all of this is a lot to process. Happy April First. I can't
believe
  another month has passed.

  Best,
  Marissa