[bksvol-discuss] Re: Releasing books and "sharing the wealth"

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 16:18:19 -0800

I would be happy to,but unfortunately the books I have that I'm not
actually working on at this time require a sighted person with access to
the print book. I only just took the last 2 of the 5 I have because one
is a sequel to one I proofed before and teh scanner knew I wanted it.
Sorry. But it, too, needs a sighted proofer with access to the print book
which fortunatel my lirary systems have.
However! Here's teh good news. I plan to scan as soon as I finish proofing
the 2 I just took and the one I've been working on and am one-third of teh
way through. I don't think it would be fair to that scanner not to finish
it before scanning others. I have print books from teh Wish list at home to
scan. I'll have to check when I get back to L.A. to see to see which ones;
I remember the Nizer book( is it My Life in Court? but I don;t remember the
other; it may be a big one, or it may be a children's book. If there is a
particular book someone would like me to scan and if you're willing that I
submit it with only doing navigation stuff and a spell check rather than a
careful pr-proofing, I'll get the book and scan it quickly. The reason I
want to first finish proofing the book I'm almost through with is because
of teh time it takes to pre-proof
Cindy

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all,

As many of you have noticed, we don’t have as many scanners as proofers
and thus our checkout queue is rather limited. In the hopes of “sharing the
wealth,” I encourage any proofreader who has checked out multiple books but
hasn’t started working on all of them to release a few so that others can
work on them. Additionally, if there’s a book with a hold for you that you
might not get to soon or that you aren’t interested in anymore, you can
always email me directly and I can remove it so that others can work on it.

I know that proofers have the capability to check out 5 books at once, but
I also imagine that it can take a while to get through all five! I’m not
going to release books for people or force anyone to do this, or anything
like that. I’m just appealing to your generosity to help all proofreaders
have a good Bookshare volunteer experience.

Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to Bookshare!

Best,

Madeleine Linares

Volunteer Coordinator

Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative