[bksvol-discuss] Re: Refresher on fill in the blanks

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:20:42 -0600

Hi Valerie, Mayrie and everyone!

I received many wonderful things for Christmas, one being a SyncBraille braille display which I'm using with Window-Eyes. I would have responded sooner, but I was getting acquainted with the braille display and getting the settings right in Window-Eyes for a 20 cell display after figuring out it was breaking words in odd places until I told Window-Eyes the correct amount of cells my display has.

Now, getting to the question in this message:

When I type four hyphens:

----

whether I arrow over them or read them on the braille display, the four hyphens are close together as far as I can tell. Although I know a print hyphen is higher than an underline/underscore, when the hyphens are close together instead of this:

- - - -

where I purposely inserted spaces, can't that be less than a horrible compromise?

Debby

At 06:14 PM 12/27/2011, Valerie Maples wrote
Mayrie;

I was afraid you would say that. No, hyphens are located higher and with spaces and would do as much harm as good and be confusing, but if it chokes Braille, I guess we have to defer to that and lose the fewer sighted readers. Ugh! Oh, well, that si why I ask ...

Valerie

Keep up with Nichole's recovery: