[bksvol-discuss] Re: Refresher on fill in the blanks

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:13:36 -0800 (PST)

The global replacement of the underline of blank space with 5 hyphens and a
space on either side of them worked perfectly and looks fine to a sighted
person such as I
Thanks for your suggestion, though;

>________________________________

what about 3 or 4 dots within brackets or parens; something like that?
Would that work for sighted members, agree with braille users and not choke up
the tools that bookshare uses?  Just a thought ...
>Marty

verified, that underline was not preserved by the tool.  The second is that
the tool reduces multiple spaces to a single space, so even if it preserved
underline formatting, it would only be a single underline, similar to a single
underscore, but not enough to convey a fill in the blank, IMHO.  Now if the
tool could be tweaked to see and retain multiple spaces in underline format,
that would be sweet... but may still mess with the Braille readers.

<popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
AM
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss]
Re: Refresher on fill in the blanks

>I have used the underline in format and my books haven't been
rejected.  I leave a couple of spaces and then start the underlinefor
several spaces  (for however long you think it should be depending on
what's supposed to be filled in on it.
>G.cindy
>

>>________________________________

  underline format, can you start the blank with a maybe an * or a hypen , X
  number of spaces and end with an * or hyphen. Use the underline format from *
  or hypen to * or hypen.

  wrote:

>>Hi,  mayrie!
>>>
>>>No, it is the nature of the beast; they are "smaller"
    and naturally don't "touch" the adjoining one, unlike the underscores.
    Between the placement being mid-letter as opposed to underneath it and the
    natural spaces it looks like a  bunch of minus signs.  I know that
    is no help probably, just an explanation of why it doesn't convey a missing
    word/phrase.

>>>Wish I was better at describing
    things...

>>>Valerie
>>>

>>>Keep up with Nichole's
    recovery:
>>>http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples

    that.  No, hyphens are located higher and with spaces and would do as
    much harm as good and be confusing, but if it chokes Braille, I guess we
    have to defer to that and lose the fewer sighted readers.  Ugh! Oh,
    well, that si why I ask ...

>>>Valerie
>>>

>>>Keep up with
    Nichole's recovery:
>>>http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples

    standard for sighted is underscores, and usually 10, but I think 5 would
    still give a dighted reader the idea; could that be a workable compromise
or
    are underscores tough in Braille?

>>>Thanks for the help; this
    book will be  alot of work, but a great resource!

>>>Valerie
>>>

>>>Keep up with Nichole's recovery:
>>>http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples

    working on a bible study guide and I cannot remember the best practices for
    displaying/conveying fill in the blanks in the study
    sections.