[bksvol-discuss] Re: Recent Submission

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:03:34 -0400

Thanks to Natasha and Jake for the info on the Hardy Boys and the Nancy Drew series.
I never new there were so many flavors of each. My recollection of them goes back to the 60's when I read all the Hardy Boys that were available at the time, and some of the Nancy Drew that my sister already had. I also remember watching the Hardy Boys series on the Mouskateers TV show at the time.
The Nancy Drew books I validated were part of the Case File series, and I wasn't as impressed with them as I was with the originals, but than again, another time another place. I guess I'm also a traditionalist, being comfortable with what I'm familiar with. I never could even bring myself to appreciate the James Bond books written by John Gardner after Ian Flemming passed away.

Dave

At 12:35 AM 8/22/2004, you wrote:
Dave,
The original author only wrote the first 50 Nancy Drews. The rest have been written by several different people using her pen name. True ND fans will notice that a. she starts out as a high school grad just bumming around. Then you get to the "Case Files" and suddenly she's in college. b her hair magically changes from strawberry blonde to dusty blonde to blonde through the course of the books, c the personality of the ND in the Nancy Drew Notebooks (the 8 year old Nancy for little kids) is very different than that of the older ND. and d, her dad changes back and forth between being just a famous criminal lawyer to being specifically a prosecuting attorney. That's what happens when you've got many people writing for the same series. Also with the latest ND craze, the All New Girl Detective the books are suddenly modernized in some ways but not others and are written in first person rather than third like all the others. I don't think the Hardy Boys have seen this many inconsistency errors.... but then again i could be wrong.

Natasha & Fossey

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it's not all mixed up." - A. A. Milne

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

email: <mailto:guidingpaws@xxxxxxxxxxx>guidingpaws@xxxxxxxxxxx