[bksvol-discuss] Re: Really technical

  • From: "Andy B." <sonfire11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:11:28 -0400

Coffee rules!

-----Original Message-----
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chela Robles
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:01 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Really technical

  Scott I'll try not to be too technical I guess that is what you get
when you took nothing related to SQL and only barely got by with Java
and BlueJ in the first year of college in 2006, and you definitely made
my day, lol, had to add it to my facebook profile, as a Bookshare
Volunteer Quote Of The Day sort of thing, definitely will play trumpet
more grin! Chuckle Chela is going to have some coffee first though.

--
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated,

bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
rg>  [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chela Robles
> Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 8:05 PM
> To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Really technical
>
> In information technology, a dashboard is a user interface that, somewhat
resembling an automobile's dashboard, organizes and presents information in
a way that is easy to read. However, a computer dashboard is more likely to
be interactive than an automobile dashboard (unless it is also
computer-based). To some extent, most graphical user interfaces
(GUI<http://searchWinDevelopment.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci21398
9,00.html><http://searchWinDevelopment.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gc
i213989,00.html>s) resemble a dashboard. However, some product developers
consciously employ this metaphor (and sometimes the term) so that the user
instantly recognizes the similarity.a product might obtain information from
the local operating system in a computer, from one or more applications that
may be running, and from one or more remote sites on the Web and present it
as though it all came from the same source. Hewlett Packard developed the
first such product, which began
>   as a tool for customizing Windows desktops. Called /Dashboard/, the
> HP product was subsequently acquired by Borland and then a company
> called Starfish. Microsoft's /Digital Dashboard/ tool incorporates
> Web-based elements (such as news, stock quotes, and so on) and
> corporate elements (such as e-mail, applications, and so on) into
> Outlook. Dashboards may be customized in a multitude of ways and named
> accordingly, generally, for example as a general /corporate/ or
> enterprise<http://searchWinIT.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gci21
> 2065,00.html><http://searchWinIT.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid1_gc
> i212065,00.html>  dashboard, or more specifically, as a
> CIO<http://searchCIO.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid182_gci213620,00
> .html><http://searchCIO.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid182_gci213620
> ,00.html>  or
> CEO<http://searchCIO.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid182_gci1271045,0
> 0.html><http://searchCIO.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid182_gci12710
> 45,00.html>  dashboard.
>
> A software-based control panel for one or more applications, network
> devices or industrial machines. Dashboards display simulated gauges
> and dials that look somewhat like an automobile dashboard.
>

>        What is the SQL Server DBA Dashboard?
>
> The SQL Server DBA dashboard tool is both a DBA and a TSQL programmer
> tool. The main goal of this tool is to allow DBAs and programmers to
> quickly identify performance, SQL Agent and disk space issues
> associated with a single instance of SQL Server. The dashboard tool
> can be installed and run against any SQL Server 2005 SP2 or SQL Server
> 2008 instance.
>
> The dashboard provides 39 different performance and disk space related
> reports with a single click from the main dashboard page. These
> different reports provided information in the following areas:
>
>      * Identifies the worst performing TSQL Statement and Stored
Procedures, based on different criteria like CPU, I/O and elapsed time