[bksvol-discuss] Re: Reading the Proofreading Manual

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:16:21 -0700

Hi Cindy,

Maybe Jaws isn't reading page numbers because the book doesn't have any.  I
checked out a book the other day that didn't have any.  It also had 65+
extra page breaks, which I only know because I have a hard copy of the book
here, by the way.

I'll give you instructions to make Jaws announce page breaks as it passes
them.  Thank Larry, I think for the instructions.  He has given them lots of
times and I finally copied them to share when folks need them.

Here are the instructions:
To Make JAWS say "Page Break" in Word, you need to add the entry "page
break" to your dictionary  If you use word, do the following
1.  open your document in word (any document will do for this).
2.  do insert-d to open the dictionary manager.
 3.  There should already be a jaws word dictionary but jaws will ask to
create the file if not.
4.  space on the "add" button.
5.  in the "actual word" field,type the backslash symbol and then 012
unspaced from each other.
6.  in the "what you want jaws to say" field, type "page break"
7.  save with control-s and check in your document to see if page breaks are
announced now.

Hope that helps some!

Let us know if it doesn't help, and keep asking questions!  I know how
frustrating things not working properly can be!  We'll help!

Mayrie