[bksvol-discuss] Re: Reading books downloaded from the loving BookShare

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 09:55:07 -0500

I make MP3s with Kurzweil, so that my husband and I can listen to books in the kitchen while we eat. I was annoyed by the slowness when I first started to make them, too. I first made them with Kurzweil in Windows 98, because Kurzweil crashed less in 98. I have Xp on the same computer, and one time when I wanted to make another chapter of a book in to an MP3 I was using Xp and didn't want to bother switching. I found that it made the MP3s way faster and didn't bog down my computer while it did it, so I could still do other stuff. Now I never make MP3s in Windows 98.

Now thanks to a reinstall of Xp and Kurzweil I don't have crashes anymore, so using it is no longer annoying for that reason, either.

I'm sure I can't speed up your computers performance, but if you need any other MP3 creation tips for Kurzweil let me know.

Have the people that have used Kurzweil as well as other software done testing to determine that the other software is faster? Could it be the codec being used? I also wonder if the voice being used makes a difference. I've only used via voice for books.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Instructor
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Ferguson" <fergent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>