[bksvol-discuss] Re: Raw Scan?

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:53:04 -0500

A raw scan is simply a book that has been scanned and that's all. There has been no preproofing, no stripping of headers or anything else. It might be pretty clean and it might be a mess. Checking with the submitter about any issues it has seems pointless to me because it is likely that the submitter does not even know. A raw scan is most likely submitted by someone who has no interest in the book and just scanned it and threw it up and so the submitter has likely not even read it.

On 12/20/2012 8:34 AM, Laura Shannon wrote:
It is my understanding that a raw scan could have pagination issues, among other things. Usually they would require a sighted proofer (not always though) and perhaps a copy of the print book. I would check with the scanner and see exactly what issues are there.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Martha Rafter <mlhr@xxxxxxx <mailto:mlhr@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Folks,
    Exactly what is a raw scan?  I took one from the check-out list
and of course then thought that I might not be able to do it. Does a raw scan require a sighted proofer? Thanks!
    Marty