[bksvol-discuss] Rare Series Wishlist Request

  • From: Courtney Stover <liamskitten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:46:39 -0600

Hi all:

I'll certainly also post this to the wishlist, but seeing how the
volunteers have come together in the past to add rare/out of print
books, I thought I would start here.

This series has a rather checkered print run, with some titles still
being in print and others completely out of print (I have heard that
the out of print titles are available through libraries, which leads
me to hope that perhaps some of you can use inter-library loan to
acquire them, and I know they are all available from Amazon;
unfortunately, I am not entirely certain if one can obtain them for
anywhere near a reasonable price, especially the out-of-print titles
which can become shockingly expensive.)

The series is the Aksumite Cycle by Elizabeth Wein, and the titles are
as follows:
The Winter Prince
A Coalition Of Lions
The Sunbird
The Lion Hunter
The Empty Kingdom

I would include the synopses for all the books, but I believe that the
later ones spoil some quite large plot points within the earlier
novels.  However, I am including a review synopsis for The winter
Prince below to give all of you some idea of the sort of series you
would be contributing too.  All of these are young adult novels, which
makes them relatively short (I don't think there are any over 400
pages.)  I would, of course, be willing to proof any/all of these.

Synopsis for The Winter Prince as taken from the author's website:
“Fantasy lovers and devotees of Arthurian legends will enjoy Wein’s
challenging but engrossing novel, which probes the soul of Mordred (or
Medraut as Wein
names him), the illegitimate son of Artos [Arthur] and Artos’
half-sister Morgause. In Wein’s sympathetic hands, Medraut is a
skillful, well-traveled healer
who loves his half-brother Lleu, the legitimate heir to Artos’
kingdom. She also portrays Medraut as conflicted enough to succumb to
the wiles of Morgause
(knowing full well of her cruelty) and as capable of sacrificing Lleu
for revenge. Medraut is jealous of Lleu’s blameless birthright and the
power Lleu
wields so thoughtlessly, and he yearns not only for Artos’ approval,
but also for recognition that he is not responsible for the shame of
his parentage.
In a gripping climax, both Lleu and Medraut face the demons that haunt
them and emerge knowing they will never fear each other again.”
—Chris Sherman, Booklist

Seeing this series in its entirety on Bookshare would be amazing; with
so many of them out of print, I'm not entirely sure if there is any
other library that could boast having all five.
Warmest Regards,
Courtney