[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ranked spelling

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 04:42:00 -0400

It won't simplify your editing if you mean can you run it and have a perfect
book.  It will put you in a position where you can go through the list, do
what you need to do, and then read the book with only minimal changes to
make.
This does not always work, btw.  I have had books which, because they were
on unusual subjects, had over a thousand different words.  It will still be
a slog through such books.
Through most books, you will be able to tell which words occur so many times
that they're likely to be correct.  A name which shows up over 15 or more
times is pretty likely to be what it says it is. The 2 or fewer instance words will help
you make the most of your editing sessions, if only erasing the garbage.
One other thing to mention is that this list will also show you common screwups. For me, I'm getting a lot of letter d for t i, cap u for l l, i l, l i, also d i for th. This won't happen in every book, but whatever it is, it will happen on enough books that you will be able to clear things up with a corrections file. You will find Ranked Spelling invaluable in showing you which problems are showing up. I find out that I do not use the corrections file that comes with K1000 and have developed a much shorter one of my own. The most important thing when deciding to enter corrections into whatever file you use is to make sure that you pick common misrecognitions where they do not change from one possible word to another equally possible word (d i e for t h e, for example. But d i o s e for t h o s e, would be a good change. Rank Spelling will show you most of those words so you can get an idea which corrections to make automatically.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Now you have gotten me curious. Before I go bumbling along in  my own
inimitable fashion, could someone , preferably a Kurzweil user since that
is what I have, tell me what ranked spelling is and why/how it would
simplify, if it will, my editing.My thanks in advance.

Amy
omsm

Hi folks,

Now you have gotten me curious. Before I go bumbling along in my own
inimitable fashion, could someone , preferably a Kurzweil user since that
is what I have, tell me what ranked spelling is and why/how it would
simplify, if it will, my editing.My thanks in advance.

Amy
omsm

8:56 AM