[bksvol-discuss] Re: Rank spelling & Spell-check

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:22:27 -0500

It is different. Rank spelling will give you a list of what it thinks are misspelled words in order of the most misspelled to the least. So I can correct ten misspellings of the word "arny" which ought to be "army" by having rank spelling change each spelling of arny to army. It makes fixing large numbers of misspellings faster and it make it possible to see patterns. fir instance I can notice that each time a word ought to be "htese" it has scanned as "diese". Hope this explanation helps.

E.
At 06:52 AM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
So spell check with word is just as good as rank
spelling?

I just hear everyone say the first thing they do is
rank spelling and I feel like I'm missing out on
something really good smile

When I spell check something I've scanned, and
Omnipage spell checks it for me when I scan (plus I
spell check it again with word) I find that the words
that are supposed to be together but have a space are
usually due to zoning errors in the ocr process.

I like to manually draw the zones for ocr because if I
let omnipage do it, 90% of the time it does a great
job and doesn't ocr junk like the center of the book
or my arm as I hold down the spine. But sometimes it
does and then it inserts crap so I draw a text zone
for it to ocr. But even then sometimes it will have a
word like this man ually. And spell check will say
ually is not a word, and sure it is, and then I just
fix it. But I do that as I scan. I guess I like to
check each page as I scan.

I need to go back to bed. I woke up at 3 when my
husband and son got up so they could go fishing and
could not go back to sleep. Now I'm tired! I hope they
are catching some good fish up there (up at Tippy Dam
in Wellston, not too far from Manistee). It's about a
90 minute drive each way I think so they should be
fishing in the dark still, and maybe snow. It was
snowing here when they left but it had been raining so
our snow probably won't stay. Up there they might have
snow. They don't care though; they have waders and
waterproof coats and all that crap smile. Santa
brought my son $70 in Bass Pro Shops gift cards which
he happily spent on fishing crap uh I mean stuff.

More than y'all wanted to know I'm sure! I guess I
ramble when I'm tired.

Jamie in Michigan