[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quick Question

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:27:24 -0500

Is the poem actually written in Japanese characters, or is it Japanese
written with the roman alphabet?  I ask because my synthesizer tends to
crash or go completely nuts when encountering strange characters, so keeping
them in a file I was going to read would probably mean synthesizer death.
:-)  What I am saying is that if someone found a way to retain those
characters they better only have them on a separate page, and they need to
warn readers that it is coming, so the reader can attempt to skip that page
and avoid technological trouble.

When I scanned something with Chinese characters a while ago I didn't set
Kurzweil to recognize them because I thought it would be nothing but
trouble, so I just got garbage like verticle bars and carets and things like
that.  I would say that that would make it obvious that the characters
didn't scan, and should be deleted.  In my book it really didn't matter
though, because the words were shown in symbols, written phonetically, and
translated, so the reader only missed seeing what the characters looked
like, which a blind person would miss anyway.

By the way, you can download a Japanese synthesizer if you would like one.
It just isn't likely to work with JAWS.  It is SAPI so it would work with
anything that can send it the characters correctly, so maybe Kurzweil could
use it, since it does allow you to install Fine Reader Engine support for
scanning several East Asian languages, and i don't know why someone would
scan something they couldn't read.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net