[bksvol-discuss] Re: Questions that have surely been answered

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:27:04 -0600

There is another, slightly more obscure reason why books with a hold on them appear to have been on the checkout list for so long. That is that, a book is automatically put in the order of it's original submission date, even if it is returned to the check out list. So, a book may have been in the collection, a problem was found that a proofer offers to fix, the book is returned to the check out list with a hold for that proofer, but it appears that that book has been sitting there for months. The very first book I proofed was like this. I downloaded a book to read, saw that the main character's name was spelled wrong throughout the book, and a couple of simply corrected issues. I reported it here, and said I'd be willing to fix it. Carrie put it back on the check out list with a hold for me. I had assumed it would go in the order of that day's date, but it went in with the original submission date. I fixed the problem and checked it back in. I saw another book with a hold on it that was several months ago, and looked at the history of it. It had also been returned to the check out list for further proofing, as noted in the book's history. As Mary said, there is a project for new volunteers, which is where all the books with the same title and hold fors are coming from. There are also holds for certain people, because they are working on particular series. Other reasons include books that need special attention, like cookbooks, or those that need picture descriptions, etc. And some people have purchased books to proof from a hard copy. Mary explained nicely how to sort the books so that you can more easily skip over the hold fors. There are lots of books available that don't have holds on them. If you are interested in proofing particular types of books, romance, fantasy, nonfiction books on a particular subject, etc, you can always post your interest here, and someone may be scanning those types of books and you can ask to proof them.

Melissa Smith

On 1/22/2011 12:22 PM, Cindy Ray wrote:
Hi, List,

I haven't been here for a while now. I had come back last summer and soon after
lost my E-mail address. I never found it so got a new one. LOL.

So, here are my questions. First of all, it makes sense that you can check out
a book for two weeks and then must check it back in or re-check it out, but why
can books be held for so long? I found one that has been held for about 14 or
15 months, and I can't currently remember the name, but I think it has to do
with the Story of Ireland. Are people reminded that they have holds there? Why
can they have so many held for them? A good 25% of the 410 books are holds for,
and if you don't really know what you want, searching is an activity that,
frankly, nearly made me decide to not ever volunteer here anymore. Why isn't
there a hold for list that has only these books and people could go there and
find the books they couldn't live without proofreading?

Hope y'all don't think these are tacky questions, but they do set me to wondering. I've
just downloaded "Longing: Stories of Racial Healing."

Cindy Lou