[bksvol-discuss] Re: Questions about brackets, Braille translation, and multiple spaces between words

  • From: devi ramaseshan <deviramaseshan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 04:40:47 -0800 (PST)

The brackets issue is confusing . The curly/squgilly brackets "{"  are found
mostly in math, science and computer books only .Normally,to find such a
bracket in the literary books is very very remote.  Also there is no literary
braille code for this bracket .The code for this curly/squigilly bracket is
available only in Nemeth. My suggestion  ,to be safe  use only paraenthisis.
devi

Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Very interesting.

Contrary to your friend, I rarely see thesquiglly
bracket in print books--but rarely see the square
brackets, either. When I see the squigl bracket in a
bookshare file I'm validating, it's always been a
mistake, and according to the book should be a
parenthesis or a footnote number (why the latter
should be thecase, Idon't know :-)

The only I've ever used a squigly bracket myself, and
that not in many years, is when I wanted to bracket a
couple or more things together.

Cindy

--- Jamie Yates wrote:

> Ok part of this discussion is my fault in not
> completely understanding the brackets. It is this
> bracket: { that causes the problem and not this
> bracket: [
>
> For those of you who are not sighted (oh duh banging
> my head sorry I very very very often forget that
> many
> of you are not sighted) you won't see the brackets
> but
> I think your speech readers will do it.
>
> Anyway the short answer is I can keep doing picture
> descriptions with the [] symbols.
>
> This is what she said:
>
> Jamie,
> Anytime there is no braille symbol for punctuation
> found in print the symbol will appear in Braille as
> written out word - like backslash or tilden or less
> than and greater than. That is exactly how I see it
> in
> braille - written out as a word.
> And, yes, it is annoying when you are reading a book
> and you come across such symbols written out like
> that.
>
> The confusion about brackets in Braille is because
> there are two types of brackets in print -
> square-ish
> brackets and the ones with kind of squiggley sides.
> The square brackets do indded have a Braille symbol.
> But I almost never see it used within text in books
> and stuff. Its always the other bracket - the one
> people use for online hugs - and there's no braille
> symbol for that. So it is written out "right
> bracket"
> "left bracket"
>

> So I think these are the symbols that are problems:
> ~\{}<>
>

> Jamie in Michigan

> line. To get a list of available commands, put the

Devi ramaseshan

http://mail.yahoo.com