[bksvol-discuss] Re: Questions about brackets, Braille translation, and multiple spaces between words

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:06:18 -0800 (PST)

THe misconception might have arisen from the fact that
one member complained about "reading" (I don't know if
it is Braille or sound) spaces used for indenting or
other formatting. I've solved the problem by setting
the first line in paragraph in the Format file to .2
or .3 It means that sometimes I have to change the
first line of the page to None, but that's a minor
problem.

A long time ago when I asked if people preferred
indented paragraphs or lines skipped between
paragraphs, the majority who answerd said they
preferred indented paragraphs. Is it necessar to do
anything? Does the paragraph symbol at the end of one
paragraph indicate the next paragraph? Is that
sufficient for Braille or Daisy readers, or should be
indent if paragraphs are indented in the book, for
those who do have sight, all or a little.

Someone sent me an article, the first of a series of
Minneapolis NPR, about three blind people and how they
"see" Christmas. In the course of that first part it
said that all three were legally blind, (from
different causes and for different lengths of time)
but were not totally blind. It said that only 10% of
legallhy blind people are totally blind. That seemed a
small number to me, but I assume it is correct.

Cindy