[bksvol-discuss] Re: Questions about brackets, Braille translation, and multiple spaces between words

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:30:35 -0500

If we turn punctuation on anybody can tell and distinguish those brackets even if totally blind. It's all right. For the most part, I leave punctuation at a minimum for email but can turn it on fully with speech when needed.

E.
At 01:17 PM 12/22/2006, you wrote:
Ok part of this discussion is my fault in not
completely understanding the brackets. It is this
bracket: { that causes the problem and not this
bracket: [

For those of you who are not sighted (oh duh banging
my head sorry I very very very often forget that many
of you are not sighted) you won't see the brackets but
I think your speech readers will do it.

Anyway the short answer is I can keep doing picture
descriptions with the [] symbols.

This is what she said:

Jamie,
Anytime there is no braille symbol for punctuation
found in print the symbol will appear in Braille as a
written out word - like backslash or tilden or less
than and greater than. That is exactly how I see it in
braille - written out as a word.
And, yes, it is annoying when you are reading a book
and you come across such symbols written out like
that.

The confusion about brackets in Braille is because
there are two types of brackets in print - square-ish
brackets and the ones with kind of squiggley sides.
The square brackets do indded have a Braille symbol.
But I almost never see it used within text in books
and stuff. Its always the other bracket - the one
people use for online hugs - and there's no braille
symbol for that. So it is written out "right bracket"
"left bracket"

So I think these are the symbols that are problems:
~\{}<>

Jamie in Michigan