[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question to all Bookshare braille readers

  • From: "Jana Jackson" <jana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:15:47 -0600

Hi, Charlie!  You know, for some reason, I was thinking about this type of
situation earlier this week.  We've been talking about page numbers in the
not-too-distant past, and I wonder if it might be helpful for Braille
readers to have the textbook format, which retains both print and Braille
numbers.  Personally, I use Bookshare mainly for pleasure reading... or
maybe to read a book about a particular subject that I need for personal
study.  In that case, page numbers aren't that important, since I probably
won't have reading assignments any time soon. <Smile>  However, since we
have quite a few teachers and students on the list, I would think the
textbook format would be extremely helpful.  I have a friend who is a
teacher and a member of Bookshare.  A few days ago, she told me that she
sometimes has to have her assistant to tell her where the page breaks will
be, so that she can either read books along with her class or assign certain
pages for them to read.  While some of us may find the textbook format to be
more tedious, I wonder if it might be the better choice.  So there ya go, a
penny for my thoughts! <Smile>

Jana